Week 23 – Tawny Owl Flying High – Weekend Reviews

Premier Division

Tawny Owl managed to beat their title challengers Bassett Bulldogs 2-0 this weekend in possibly the biggest clash of the weekend.

Tawny Owl, the reigning Premier Division champs, are now within two points of pole position with 5 games in hand thanks to goals from Dave Slattery and Lewis Waldon secured them the 3 points in this closely fought encounter.

Tawny will now shift their focus to Deers Leap, who have moved ahead of the Bulldogs to top the table after a comfortable 4-0 victory over bottom side Spectrum.

North Swindon put in a top performance with a 4-2 win over Spitfires. A brace from Daniel Knight and goals from Tom Ballard and Ryan Baxter secured only their 3rd win of the season as they look to put a late run together to climb above Village Inn and out of the bottom two.

Village Inn find themselves without a win as they lost 3-2 to FC Dorcan in an entertaining game in which both sides will feel they deserved the victory.

In a tightly fought contest, Sportz Central managed to scrape a 1-0 win against Ramsbury which lifted them above their opponents and in to 5th spot.

Division One

Sport 4 Pinehurst continue their amazing 8 game winning streak and have moved into take top spot after winning this top of the table battle against Lyneham 3-1.

Pinehurst moved ahead of their opponents after Aaron Welland found the back of the net for his club and a double from Jonathan Peachey secured the win.

Lower Stratton’s title chase was put in jeopardy this weekend after goals from Daryll Chambers and Jamie Pidgeon secured a 2-0 win for Wroughton Reserves.

At the bottom end of the table, Swindon AFC managed a long awaited 4-2 win against Moredon FC to pick up their 2nd win of the season. 2 goals from Callum Wells and a goal each for Nicos Manolis and Dion Titcombe gave them a valuable 3 points.

Despite this win, they stay bottom of the league as fellow strugglers Chiseldon managed to win their away encounter with Stratton Juniors. Chiseldon’s Nick Salter put them in front but the lead was short lived as Stratton hit back with two goals before half time to take the lead.

With both teams trying to play football on a very difficult surface, it was Frankie Hunt who managed to latch on to through ball ahead of the defenders and, with the keeper racing out, he cooly placed the ball over the keeper and in to an empty net.

Chiseldon were reduced to 10 men after their goal keeper was injured with 10 minutes on the clock and no remaining subs available. A reshuffle of the Chisledon line up meant suggested they were going to hold on to the win but with only minutes left of normal time, Chiseldon secured all three points thanks to a Tom Davis goal after some lacklustre defending.

In the remaining fixture, New Town All Stars have ended their bad run after a goal a piece from James Knell and Jamie Bain game them a 2-1 victory away to Haydon Wick. That win saw All Stars climb above their opponents in to 9th spot.